|Stressed? Maybe ornithine can help. Or is this study just a hoax!?|
But before we get to the marketing side of things, let's first look at the science, researchers from the Research Laboratories for Health Science & Food Technologies present in a recent paper in the Nutrition Journal, an open-access journal which charges scientists a certain fee for processing their papers.
In their 8 week study, Mika Miyake et al. provided fifty-two apparently healthy Japanese adults who had previously felt slightly stressed and fatigue with either L-ornithine (400 mg/day) or placebo capsules.
The participants were advised to take one (400mg) capsule everyday before going to bed for eight weeks. At the end of the study period, all participants arrived at the laboratory fasted for blood sampling and a handful of other tests.
- Bucci, L. R., et al. "Ornithine supplementation and insulin release in bodybuilders." International journal of sport nutrition 2.3 (1992): 287-291.
- Coudray-Lucas, Colette, et al. "Ornithine [alpha]-ketoglutarate improves wound healing in severe burn patients: A prospective randomized double-blind trial versus isonitrogenous controls." Critical care medicine 28.6 (2000): 1772-1776.
- Cynober, L. "Can arginine and ornithine support gut functions?." Gut 35.1 Suppl (1994): S42-S45.
- de Oca, Javier, et al. "Effect Of Oral Supplementation Of Ornithine-[Alpha]-Ketoglutarate On The Intestinal Barrier After Orthotopic Small Bowel Transplantation." Transplantation 63.5 (1997): 636-639.
- Kurata, Koji, et al. "Orally administered l-ornithine reduces restraint stress-induced activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in mice." Neuroscience letters 506.2 (2012): 287-291.
- Lambert, M. I., et al. "Failure of commercial oral amino acid supplements to increase serum growth hormone concentrations in male body-builders." International Journal of Sport Nutrition 3.3 (1993): 298-305.
- Miyake, Mika, et al. "Randomised controlled trial of the effects of L-ornithine on stress markers and sleep quality in healthy workers." Nutrition Journal 13.1 (2014): 53.
- Raul, Francis, et al. "Functional and metabolic changes in intestinal mucosa of rats after enteral administration of ornithine α-ketoglutarate salt." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 19.2 (1995): 145-150.
- Shi, Han Ping, et al. "Effect of supplemental ornithine on wound healing." Journal of Surgical Research 106.2 (2002): 299-302.
- Sugino, Tomohiro, et al. "L-ornithine supplementation attenuates physical fatigue in healthy volunteers by modulating lipid and amino acid metabolism." Nutrition research 28.11 (2008): 738-743.
- Wernerman, J., et al. "Ornithine-alpha-ketoglutarate improves skeletal muscle protein synthesis as assessed by ribosome analysis and nitrogen use after surgery." Annals of surgery 206.5 (1987): 674.